The European Structural Parts Sectoral Group consists of stakeholders of the ferrous PM structural parts industry. The objective of the ESPG is to promote the interests of EPMA members involved in the structural parts supply chain. It holds open meetings involving parts makers, suppliers and any interested EPMA members to discuss issues of concern to the sector, but also closed meetings for parts makers or suppliers .
The open meetings are normally twice yearly at the EPMA events, Management Seminar and Euro PM Congress, in the spring and autumn respectively. These offer an excellent possibility of discussion about EPMA activities and projects in the ferrous PM structural parts sector and about the state of business in the industry. The state of business discussion always gives a fruitful exchange of experience between participants and is reported in the minutes available to the attendees.
The ESPG also gives an input to many projects that are carried out by the EPMA, which include:
- The Global Powder Metallurgy Property Database web site: www.pmdatabase.com
- The e-learning modules web site for End User Designers and Engineers: www.designforpm.net
- The yearly Benchmarking exercise, which gathered in 2008, 14 Sites: www.epma.com/benchmarking
- Club Projects on the Environment, Health and Safety aspects. Etc.
The ESPG also initiates special workshops for the PM supply chain during the Euro PM congress with:
- Closed meeting for parts makers
- Closed meeting for powders and equipment suppliers
- Sector Watch Session: Presentation on other forming processes (e.g. investment casting, fine blanking, cold forging etc.)
- Open debate between five parts makers senior managers (and the audience) (see pictures).