The annual Euro PM Congress & Exhibition, organised and sponsored by the European Powder Metallurgy Association (EPMA) created an online environment for participants to discuss, develop and distribute the latest industry trends and techniques that the powder metallurgy sector has to offer.
Following on from last year’s successful Euro PM2020 Virtual Congress, additional networking tools were developed to improve networking opportunities.
The real innovation for 2021 however was the first ever Virtual Euro PM Exhibition which contained 30 booths representing companies from all parts of the PM supply chain.
Ralf Carlström, EPMA’s President, opened the plenary session with an ‘Overview of the Status and Trends in the European PM Industry’. This was followed by the plenary speaker, Dr Lars Röntzsch of Fraunhofer IFAM, Dresden, Germany, who discussed ‘Opportunities for the PM industry in the hydrogen economy’.
Following on from the keynote speakers was the annual EPMA Thesis Competition (sponsored by the journal Metals) with winning theses from:
- Doctorate category - Dr Felicity Freeman, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom – ‘Structuring Difference: The Additive Manufacture of Spatially and Functionally Differentiated Microstructures’
- Masters’ category - Ing Gerald Wilhelm, University Aalen Materials Research Institute (IMFAA), Germany – ‘Development of a hybrid preheating concept for the additive manufacturing of brittle multi material components’
The Peter Brewin Post Award, this year sponsored by the Journal Materials, was awarded to
- Mr Adrien Mouchard, University of Limerick, Ireland – ‘Effect of gas flow rates on powder stream characteristics and efficiency from coaxial nozzles’
The EPMA Board and Council’s Fellowship Award helps to recognise the significant contribution to PM industry development from the scientific/academic community. The EPMA Fellowship Award not only provides a fantastic recognition from the PM community for such tremendous work, but also looks to exemplify the continued involvement in PM science and technologies. The 2021 Fellowship Awards were presented to:
- Didier Bouvard, Univ. Grenoble Alpes
- Lars Nyborg, Chalmers University of Technology
The EPMA Distinguished Service Awards are presented in recognition of an individuals' outstanding contribution to the European PM industry over several years. This year this was awarded to:
- Martin Blömacher, BASF SE
- -Ing. Harald Neubert, Miba AG
Work is already in progress on next year’s World PM2022 Congress & Exhibition, to be held in Lyon, France, 9 -13 October 2022. Exhibition reservations and Sponsorship packages are now available to reserve, shortly followed by a Call for Papers in early November 2021.