The EPMI is the result of the formation of a Group of major European PM focused research centres to work in the following areas.
- Development of collaborative research projects between two or more partners
- Transfer of students and/or staff on secondment between partners
- Sharing of equipment on a case by case basis
- Within the umbrella of the European Powder Metallurgy Association (EPMA) develop links with its sectoral groups to facilitate industry participation in collaborative research programmes and to promote the development of the Group
- Support to EPMA in those activities related with education and research topics, as well as promote under this umbrella any convenient policy related to these topics.
- To undertake an annual update of a joint programme of activities.
- EPMI comprises 13 major European PM Research centres